About Spike Island
Spike Island is an international centre for the development of contemporary art and design. Based in Bristol, UK, it is home to a gallery, café and working space for artists, designers and creative businesses. A vibrant hub for production, presentation and debate, we offer opportunities for audiences to engage directly with creative practices through participation and discussion.
Our vision is to position art as central to society, which we do in two ways: by offering a high quality, challenging programme of exhibitions and events; and by fostering a dynamic and critically engaged community of artists and designers. Spike Island collaborates with local and regional partners as well as with international institutions, museums and universities.
The support of artists and designers, and audiences’ encounters with them, underlies everything Spike Island does. To this end we seek to develop fruitful synergies across the building which is home to:
- A year-round programme of public exhibitions, talks and activities
- Over 70 artists in low-cost studios
- Other contemporary arts organisations such as Works|Projects, Situations and Spike Print Studio
- A range of creative companies in fields including: fine art fabrication; graphic, web, product and interactive design; typography; film and video production; CGI; illustration and animation
- Shared space used by over 90 members of the Associates network
- Students and staff from the University of the West of England Fine Art BA programmes